In the Women’s Camp at Mauthausen Concentration Camp, Survivors Queue up for Soup
May 12, 1945Photograph
Until late 1943, Mauthausen housed very few female prisoners. A designation as a women’s concentration camp in 1944 paved the way for several hundred female political prisoners to be sent to Mauthausen, as well as an increasing number of Jewish prisoners. By March of 1945, there were nearly 2,500 women prisoners at the camp, the vast majority of whom were political prisoners of the Nazi regime.
United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, Courtesy of National Archives and Records Administration, College Park