Show Tags Catalog Detail
Lewis and Clark Expedition - (1804-1806) | West (U.S.) - Description and travel | Missouri River - Description and travel | Columbia River - Description and travel | Travel | Missouri River | United States - Columbia River | West United States | Maps | Intaglio prints | Printed boards (Binding) | Maps - West (U.S.) | Publishers' advertisements - Pennsylvania - Philadelphia | Bradford and Inskeep, - publisher
History of the expedition under the command of Captains Lewis and Clark, to the sources of the Missouri, thence across the Rocky Mountains and down the river Columbia to the Pacific Ocean.: Performed during the years 1804-5-6. By order of the government of the United States.
- Creator: Lewis, Meriwether
This, the first authentic history of the expedition, was written by Nicholas Biddle, and edited by Paul Allen. cf. E. Coues, Hist. of the expedition, 1893: appleton, Cycl. amer. biogr.
- OCLC #: 1652017
- Call #: F592.41814
- Physical Location: Pritzker Military Museum & Library — Rare Book Reading Room — F592.4 1814
- Publisher: Philadelphia : Published by Bradford and Inskeep; and Abm. H. Inskeep, NewYork [sic]. J. Maxwell, printer., 1814.
- Physical Description: 2 volumes : Illustrations, 6 maps (1 folded) ; 22 cm
- General Notes:
- This, the first authentic history of the expedition, was written by Nicholas Biddle, and edited by Paul Allen. cf. E. Coues, Hist. of the expedition, 1893: appleton, Cycl. amer. biogr.
- Cover imprint: Philadelphia : Published by Bradford and Inskeep; Abm. H. Inskeep, New York; E.J. Coale, Baltimore; and J. Hoff, Charleston, S.C. J. Maxwell, Printer, 1814.
- Preface signed and dated: Paul Allen. Philadelhia, January 1, 1814.
- Folded map has title: A map of Lewis and Clark's track, across the Western portion of North America from the Mississippi to the Pacific Ocean; by order of the executive of the United States in 1804.5. & 6. Copied by Samuel Lewis from the original drawing of Wm. Clarke. Saml. Harrison sct.
- Vol. 1: xxviii, 470 p.,  maps (frontispiece, and between p. 62-63, 260-261) ; vol. 2: ix, [i], 522 p.,  maps (between p. 30-31, 52-53, 70-71).
- Signatures: vol. 1: A⁴ b-c⁴ d² B-3N⁴ 3O⁴ (-3O4); vol. 2: A⁶ (-A1) B-3U⁴ 3X² (-3X2).
- The Appendix (vol. 2, p. -522) contains: (1) Observations and reflections on the present and future state of upper Louisiana, in relation to the government of the Indian nations ... and the trade and intercourse with the same. By Captain Lewis. -- (2) A summary statement of the rivers, creeks and most remarkable places, their distances from each other, & their distances from the Mississippi, ascending the Missouri, across the Rocky mountains, and down the Columbia to the Pacific ocean, as was explored in the years 1804. 5 and 6 by Captains Lewis and Clarke. -- (3) Estimate of the western Indians. -- (4) Thermometrical observations, showing also the rise and fall of the Mississippi (Missouri); appearances of weather, winds, etc. -- (5) Remarks and reflections [January 1, 1804, to August 22, 1806].
- Library copy: Rebound in elaborately gilt green morocco by Riviere & Son, with original printed covers bound in at end of each volume.
- Shaw & Shoemaker records this title at 30657 with Allen, Paul as main entry, and at 31924 with Lewis, Meriwether as main entry.
- Electronic Access: