Dr. Charles E. Metz Collection on World War II Aircraft
Dr. Metz (1942-2012) had a life-long fascination with World War II Aviation. Donated by his estate upon his death in 2012, this collection consists of more than 2,500 books on military airplanes, air warfare, and aviation history and 1,800 airplane models, most of which are still in their original packaging.
The collection, accumulated over a 50-year span, includes several rare books, like Juan Carlos Salgado’s Focke Wulf FW 200 Condor. The models’ manufacturers, including Monogram and Revell, are highly-regarded by modeling enthusiasts for their accuracy and attention to detail.
A long-time instructor at the University of Chicago, Metz was a world-renowned scientist and a pioneer in health-related imaging science. Respected for his teaching as well as his research, Metz most recently served as a professor of radiology and a member of the university’s Committee on Medical Physics.
Read the press release here.
- Modelling Scale Aircraft by Brett Green (2008)
- America's army and air force airplanes: 1918 to the present by Francis H. Dean (1997)
- British Aviation Squadron markings of World War I : REC- RAF-RNAS by Les Rogers (2001)
- Luftwaffe camouflage & markings, 1933-1945 by Ken Merrick (2004)
- Japanese military aircraft. Bombers of the Imperial Japanese Army, 1939-1945 by Eduardo Cea and Sally-Ann Hopwood (2010)
- Soviet air power in World War 2 by E. Gordon (2008)
- Austro-Hungarian aces of World War 1 by Christopher Chant (2002)
- Battles with the Nachtjagd : the night air war over Europe, 1939-1945 by Theo E.W. Boiten & Martin W. Bowman (2006)
- Luftwaffe : a pictorial history by Eric Mombeek (1997)
- Lockheed Vega Pv-1 and PV-2 Harpoon by Steve Ginter (2010)
- Junkers Ju 287 : Germany's forward swept wing bomber by Stephen Ransom and Peter Korrell with Peter D. Evans (2008)
- Building the P-51 Mustang : the story of manufacturing North American's legendary World War II fighter in original photos / Michael O'Leary.
- Günther Rall: a memoir: Luftwaffe ace and NATO general: the authorized biography by Jill Amadio (2002)
- Broken wings of the Samurai: the destruction of the Japanese Airforce by Robert C. Mikesh (1993)
- Protect & avenge: the 49th Fighter Group in World War II by Ferguson & Pascalis (1996)
- The Royal Italian Air Force, 1923-1945 by Coil & Zavattini (2009)
- La force aérienne croate: 1941-1945 by Frka (2000)
- The Polish Air Force at war: the official history 1939-1943 by Jerzy B. Cynk (1998)
- Mosquito FB.VI: airframe, systems & RAF wartime usage by Dave Brown (2009)
- Japanese military aircraft firghters of the Imperial Japanese Army, 1939-1945 by Eduardo Cea (2007)
- Betrayed ideals: memoirs of a Luftwaffe fighter ace by Hans-Ekkehard Bob (2004)
- Curtiss F9C Sparrowhawk airship fighters by Richard Hoffman (2004)
- Japanese aircraft equipment, 1940-1945 by Robert C. Mikesh (2000)
- German aircraft landing gear: a detailed study of German World War II combat aircraft by Günther Sengfelder (1993)
- The Legion Condor: a history of the Luftwaffe in the Spanish Civil War, 1936-1939 by Karl Reis (1992)
- USN & USMC Grumman F9F-6 Cougar Fighter Squadrons (2006)