SHARE Book Club
The Secrets of Mary Bowser, by Lois Leveen
Based on the remarkable true story of a freed African American slave who returned to Virginia at the onset of the Civil War to spy on the Confederates, The Secrets of Mary Bowser is a historical novel celebrating the courageous achievements of a little known but truly inspirational American heroine.
- What is your interest in history?
- Why might the author have chosen to fictionalize this story instead of producing a non-fiction work, which is her background?
- What does it allow the author to do with the story?
- Was she successful in her approach?
- What in the book surprised you?
- Were you able to determine what was true and what was imagined?
- After reading this fictionalized account, what did you want to learn more about?
- Did you do any research after reading the book on what you were curious about? If so, what did you find out?
- Are there other historical fiction books you would recommend?
- Would you recommend this book to a friend?